VoIP is a technology that is used to make calls over the internet instead of using tradition landlines or cellular networks. The VoIP phone system technology works by taking the analogue voice signals and converting them into digital data packets that are transmitted over the broadband connection. VoIP has become a very helpful and useful method of making calls once you set it up it is quite cheaper than using the traditional landlines. You might not need to pay for phone calls depending on your setup and the country you are calling or the time you spend on the call.
You can use the VoIP phone system on several devices like:
- Phone with a VoIP adaptor. For this, you will have to use a special adaptor through which you can make calls with VoIP using your traditional landline telephone. These VoIP adapters can be plugged into either your phone socket into the wall or into your router.
- Computer. There are a lot of programs that allow you to make voice calls or video calls to someone who has also installed those programs such as FaceTime, Skype, and Google Talk. Some of these apps for example Skype can also be used to call a regular landline number or a mobile phone number. Using these programs, you can call anyone who has the same app for free however if you call on landline number then you will have to pay a cost which is usually quite low.
- Smartphone. you can also use VoIP on your smartphone. In order to make free voice calls you will have to use certain apps offered by the providers to use the web services on your smartphone.
There are some Broadband and phone providers who offer VoIP as a part of their services hence these providers might do things differently. For instance, some providers provide FTTP (fibre-to-the-premises) and VoIP services as part of phone or business broadband package. Either way whichever provider you use they will provide you the complete information.
What kind of equipment is required for VoIP?
It is hard to enlist a particular set of equipment for VoIP since the exact need of equipment depends on the VoIP method that you are planning to use. Usually the first thing that you need in order to use VoIP is a Broadband connection which preferably should be fibre optic so it has more reliability. You will get the greatest VoIP experience with Ethernet connection or a full FTTP which are also available with business broadband providers. The VoIP system requires very few things in order to be set up. The VoIP phone system requirements can vary from provider to provider however generally the VoIP system requirements are.
- If you want to use VoIP with an adaptor then you will need a VoIP adaptor and a phone which is compatible with VoIP. If it a plug into your router then you will need a compatible router as well.
- If you want to use VoIP over computer then you will need a desktop or laptop with a strong internet connection, the right VoIP software and a headset or a microphone and speakers. For better sound quality and clarity headphones are preferred and they also have added bonuses as they can spare everybody around you from hearing your entire conversation. However, you can be just fine without it.
- If you want to use VoIP over smartphone then you will need a smartphone, a strong Wi-Fi connection and an app installed on your phone.
A few VoIP providers might do things in a different way and may need some kind of particular equipment. However, for this you will need to get in contact with your VoIP provider for additional information. Your selected VoIP provider can give you all the information that you need in order to start using the service and you can also help you with light setup.